Thursday 12 December 2019

the Bike Light on Rose


 
It isn't often that I talk about the things that I own, but I pulled this light out from the drawer the other day and decided that I wanted to write about it.

Because there is much to be grateful for when it comes to talking about this bright red bicycle light that is small- the whole light fits snugly into the palm of my hand- but certainly packs a powerful punch with its triple beams.

I didn't use the triple beams very much- there was no need to. What I used most was the dual beam, which was sufficient, and when required, the Flash Option that I could activate just by pressing two buttons.

Now, that convenience might not mean much to some of us, but to me, it meant a great deal.

See, I'm a night rider.

What that means is that I start cycling from around 4pm or so all the way until 1am thereabouts, and so a good part of the ride takes place when the sun's down. Early morning riders and night riders who take the roads will know how critical it is to give ample warning to oncoming traffic or blind spot traffic of your upcoming turn, or your impending approach.  

I've had to slam the buttons down when making a turn because the oncoming vehicle didn't seem to have seen me.

I've also had to slam the buttons and do this high beam flash when changing lanes along some of the more challenging roads.

But more than that, this is the light that has helped keep me safe through all my biking adventures on this island.

This is the light that has guided me upon every single major road that is accessible by bicycle.

 
I've used it extensively on the dimly lit sections of East Coast Park where, if you're a frequent rider, you will know of the part right at the edge between the sea sports club and the Tanah Merah Canal that is either dimly lit, or better yet, not lit at all.

Then there is (the old) Tanah Merah Coastal Road, where although well-lit for most of the time, has had occasions where sections along the entire stretch "didn't pay electric bill" and had their lights powered down, forcing riders to bike cautiously through the dark.  

I love this light.

She has certainly brought me to places aplenty.
 
With her, I've gone along West Coast Highway, Jurong East, Jln Boon Lay, Jalan Bahar, Lim Chu Kang Road, plus the entire stretch of Kranji starting from Neo Tiew Estate all the way through Kranji Way and finally to Woodlands Road.
 
With her, I've biked on the entire stretch of Woodlands Road down past Stagmont and Choa Chu Kang towards Dunearn Road.
 
This is the light that has taken me through the estate of Bukit Batok towards Hillview and down towards Woodlands Road.
 
This is the light that has guided me upon the sometimes-lit, sometimes-not-lit narrow path on Lentor Avenue down from Yishun towards Ang Mo Kio.
 
I've gone on Mandai Road and  Mandai Avenue (near the crematorium) with this light and ridden into the don't-know-why-so-dark Seletar Reservoir area and not felt one bit afraid at all.
 
And best of all, she has been my companion through the renowned, very, very dark, and sometimes-scary route in Sembawang- and made me feel not *as* afraid as I would have been without her.

Her battery has conked out on me now, and sad to say, I haven't been able to find another.

Still, I get sentimental about my stuff, and to say that I feel nothing towards this companion of a bicycle light would be a lie, because even though it might be just a thing, without it I would not have had as many experiences as I have had, and more importantly, I would not have made it through safe, sound, and alive.