Thursday 11 December 2014

satisfy the Fruity Hunger






dragonfruit & pineapple
I love fruits.

Like lots of people do.

Fruits give you the natural sugars. They've got natural colors. They make great snacks when you're restless. They make great meals when you're hungry and they make fantastic dining companions when you mix them to get the sweet and savory and juicy all together.

I love pineapples for the burst of tartness and I love grilled pineapples with meat.
I love bananas for the hungry moments and the ones that I eat with peanut butter and toast.
I love papayas for dessert at breakfast, lunch and dinner and they provide that rounded sweetness when you have them with scrambled eggs.
I love china pears that are huge and juicy and sweet and light on your tongue.
I love jackfruit for the distinctive taste that is at once slurpy, juicy, chewy and even nibbly.

There're apples for the crunch which we all want from time to time.
There're oranges and mandarin oranges for the citrus explosion and that spring of vitamin c in your mouth and which you can blend and have with milk or with yogurt.
There're lovely orange rock melons with their softness and lightness on the palate.
There're the families of berries that have strawberries. blueberries and raspberries that you drop into your oatmeal or cereal or granola and yogurt.

There're the water chestnuts that give you the crunch and make gorgeous, lovely, rich desserts when slow boiled but which you have to wash the dirt off first if you're buying from the market.
There're watermelons we all love for the refreshing, cooling juice. There're durians, which we love yet hate at the same time but there's no need to get into explanations about the king of fruits and/or the blue cheese of fruits.
There're the sidekick to the durians- the mangosteens- which go along well with the durians cos' they've got these cooling properties or something..
There're mangoes, fantastically sticky, sweet and tart anytime.
And there're grapes, seedless ones best, that can be eaten fresh off the shelf, eaten chilled, or frozen.

I don't have a particular favorite fruit, but there are fruits which hold special significance to me. There are fruits that wrap me up like a warm cuddly blankie on a cold, rainy day- and there are fruits that leave me happy thoughts of special occasions, familiar places and family moments.

I cannot gaze at a box of red cherries without thinking of the Christmas season, and of my Parent who loves them, and who continues to relate the story of eating an entire carton bought from Fremantle whilst holidaying in Perth.

I cannot look at a bunch of rambutans at the fruit stall without thinking of the rambutan tree that once stood in Grandfather's garden, the sight of the red, hairy fruits hanging from the branches and the excitement of seeing them in the colander.  

Soil-encrusted water chestnuts at the wet market make me think of the homemade eggy water chestnut hot dessert my Parent concocts in the slow cooker.

And a bag of crunchy Granny Smith apples bring me back to the driveway grounds of Pixar where on a chilly winter afternoon I sighted apples on apple trees for the very first time.